> The only thing that might cause a problem would be if it
> updates a large
> package (say Apache or Perl) and has a small configuration bug that
> makes you run around and pull your hair out trying to figure
> out what's
> changed and how to fix it. This is when reading the Debian-user list
> regularly is very helpful. However, Sarge is getting close enough to
> release that I haven't noticed anything major like that in the five or
> several months that I've been using it.

While we're at it - suppose someone is the only administrator of a debian
(stable) system connected to the internet permanently, with SSH, Postfix and
Bind exposed to the 'big bad' world. Say that someone is lucky enough to
take a vacation, and is not able to connect to the machine for two weeks.
How dangerous is it to have 'apt-get update; apt-get upgrade' ran
automatically every day?

No, this scenario is not entirely hypothetically ;)

Dan