On Friday 08 October 2004 23:21, Andrew Carter wrote:

> So, I have three questions:

I make it 4

> 1.  Should my router's ip address be in the resolv.conf file?

You should be running dhclient - it will put it there when the dhcp server in
your dsl router/modem answers the request.  But if you do it statically (see
below the answer is yes)

> 2.  Shouldn't my router just forward DNS requests to the ISP DNS servers?

Yes - it should get its information from your ISPs dhcp server.  There is
normally a status page on these routers which you connect to via a web
browser.  It should tell you what ip address its wan interface has been
allocated and what it has been told about your isps nameservers.

> 3.  How can I keep the resolv.conf file from changing each time I reboot?

Don't use dhclient, but set your ip address statically.

> 4.  Why does this fail for Linux/FreeBSD but not for OS X or XP?

Don't know - I think Win Xp defaults to getting the all info via dhcp but has
the option to set it manually.

--
Alan Chandler
[EMAIL PROTECTED]