> First of course be sure that /lib/modules/2.6.9/nvidia/nvidia.ko exists.
> That's still the standard location for that driver, AFAIK.

Yes, it's there.

> Run lsmod | grep nvidia.  Is the nvidia module already loaded?  If not,
> then modprobe nvidia.  What's the result?  Now can X start?

lsmod shows no modules loaded.
modprobe nvidia generates no errors, and a subsequent lsmod show nvidia to be
loaded.  However, X still won't start (with the nvidia driver, that is; the
nv driver works OK).

> The solution may be as simple
> as mentioning nvidia in /etc/modules, to force it to be loaded
> automatically at boot.

I did that, but it didn't resolve the problem, not surprisingly as loading
nvidia with modprobe didn't fix it temporarily.

I am by no means an expert on the workings of XFree86, but my understanding it
that the nvidia driver consists of both a kernel object file (nvidia.ko) as
well as a user-space object file, and I think the latter is the problem
here.  /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/drivers contains a whole series of $DRIVER.o
files for different drivers which appears to correspond with all of the
driver alternatives offered when using dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86.
There isn't any file in there named nvidia.o or anything similar, and I
wonder if that is the problem.

Thanks for the suggestions
David Bruce