On Sun, Nov 14, 2004 at 10:40:13PM +0700, David Garamond wrote:
> David Garamond wrote:
> >We are planning to migrate a bunch of hosting servers from RH73 + qmail
> >+ vmailmgr to Sarge and I'd appreciate on the comments of the choice of
> >MTA to use.
>
> Oh, I should add that I'm pretty clueless when it comes to other MTAs.
> I've used qmail ever since I've used Linux (around RH5-RH6). I'm not
> even familiar with Sendmail. Most of my friends are pushing for Postfix,
> but I see that Debian's default is exim, and I myself have been using
> courier-imap so currently I'm thinking courier would be the easiest
> migration route.

I guess my first question is why do you want to stop using qmail? It's
highly secure and robust, plus you have already climbed its learning curve.

While the various suggestions about how to install it via debian packages
are quite valid, I would strongly suggest you just download two things:
netqmail-1.05.tar.gz from http://www.qmail.org/netqmail-1.05.tar.gz and
the Life with qmail document from http://www.lifewithqmail.org. Following
the precise directions in the latter document, you can be compiled and
configured in no more than a half hour.

Don't throw out an excellent mail server merely because it doesn't come in a
compiled debian package.

Good luck with your transfer.

Ollie

--