> And this is my favorite. Trying to mount a USB key. There is no usb
> key device, like there is one for cdrom. It gets mapped to a scsi
> device (for some reason), the first one, because I don't actually have
> another scsi on my computer. /dev/sda1, not /dev/sda. Terrific. Except
> on my new computer at home that does not work because I have scsi hard
> drive so USB key gets mapped to /dev/sdb1. Of course. Not /dev/sda2.
> And that's in 2.6.8. In 2.6.9 it's something completely different like
> /dev/uba, but it doesn't work because 2.6.9 is in Sid so it's still
> buggy. Count another hour or two of confused googling to figure all
> that out.

scsi devices are named similarly to ide ones.

ide: primary master   = /dev/hda    scsi: 1st scsi drive = /dev/sda
ide: primary slave    = /dev/hdb    scsi: 2nd scsi drive = /dev/sdb
ide: secondary master = /dev/hdc    scsi: 3rd scsi drive = /dev/sdc
ide: secondary slave  = /dev/hdd    scsi: 4th scsi drive = /dev/sdd
etc...

the numbers that follow the device is the number of the partition that
the filesystem resides on.

for example /dev/sda1 means the filesystem is on the first partition on
the first scsi drive.

to resolve these naming conflicts you of your hotplug devices you could
use udev. i have my usb camera always symlinked to /dev/camera whether
the real device is /dev/sda1 or /dev/sdb1. udev takes care of that.
then in my /etc/fstab i use /dev/camera as my device.

if you want more info about udev (and dont want to google, let me
know :).

-matt zagrabelny