I sent this out this morning and it "Reply'd" only to the person who had
responded instead of the the list (sorry, Paul, I meant it to go to the
list).

-----Original Message-----
From: Allen Williams [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, November 17, 2004 9:16 AM
To: Paul E Condon
Subject: RE: Base system install- eval: 3: Syntax error: newline
unexpected (expecting ")")

Thanks, Paul, for the advice.  At the risk of beating a dead horse, and for
my own education (besides the fact that installing sarge would be a very
easy and convenient way for me to do this- been working with unix since
about 1987, but relatively new to linux and the newer versions):

Having seen the bug report (Bug #247506), I thought this would be fixed.  Is
there anyway from the bug report to determine what exactly was wrong?  The
two emails I saw didn't shed any light on what the root problem was.  I also
noticed that the fix was dated Oct 7, 2004, so I'm this PM I'll make sure I
have a version (oops!  I understand what you mean by "version", but don't
really have a better word; release, maybe?) from after that date.

Is there any documentation on what scripts, etc. are executed during base
install so I can fix this myself?  "eval" is a shell command, so I'm
assuming this is just a quick fix in a script somewhere.  Is debootstrap a
script?

And, if worst comes to worst and I have to install woody and upgrade, I will
need to get the iso image, do the install, then get the ethernet driver, and
add that before I get on-line.  I don't really need a cookbook, but if you
can you point me to the documentation that describes where and how to go
about getting and installing drivers before the system is on-line (I would
need to download it to a CD from with a WinDoze machine that is currently up
and running) it would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Allen