Although this questionis not specific to Debian, it is relevant and I figure someone here has the answer. Why is the Linux community so opposed to moving to Kernel 2.6? Is 2.4 really that much more stable? Familiar? Upgrading to much trouble? Too many things changed too much? I think not--the open source community is a very dynamic one, things always change and are upgraded without a second thought. So why are so many afraid of moving defaults to the latest stable? 2.4 seems to be the default everywhere..(well to be honest, I don't know the default for most distributions, but Debian and Knoppix are still with 2.4) yet 2.6 is not exactly new. The only issue I had was the transition away from ide-scsi for IDE CD burning. Even for desktops which would not suffer at all upgrading, 2.4 seems to remain the standard.