Michael Sims wrote:

Have you thought about maybe taking a different approach to this altogether? I'm
assuming the point of this is to make it easier to manage the configuration of a
group of similar servers...or to restore the configuration of a particular server in
the case of hardware failure or a system reload, right?

You're right :)

Personally I keep all the configuration files for my servers in a CVS module, and I
use Makefiles to copy them to the right locations, set the proper permissions, and
in some cases restart daemons, etc. This means all I need to do is checkout my cvs
module, then run make to have the configuration files pushed out. I also have a
perl helper script that does stuff like diff my files against the installed
versions, etc. You may want to consider something similar...it works for me quite
well. I can provide more info if you're interested.

In fact I hoped that there's a method to manage that with the debian package properly. Now I'll re-examine my way of making.
Thank you for your help :)

--
Richard