On Friday 19 November 2004 12:56 pm, Kirk Strauser wrote:

> > What's the most reasonable way to *downgrade* a system from sid to
> > testing?  Do I need to suck it up and do a reinstall?
>
> That's pretty much it.  :-/

If you do end up going that route, here's something you can do to at least
make it simple. On the machine in question, execute the following command:
dpkg --get-selections > packages.dpkg
Save the output file (packages.dpkg) to a floppy or remote location for future
use. This file is a list of your installed packages, which should make your
task simpler if you go the reinstall route. Once you've got the new base
install and apt sources set up, don't run any other package installation
programs yet. You can then pull up the packages.dpkg file and run the
command:
dpkg --set-selections < packages.dpkg
This will tell the system which packages to install/uninstall en mass. Once
that's done, run:
dselect install
That will install your selections automagically, asking you the necessary
config questions. You should then have a clone of your previous packages, but
from whichever branch you prefer.

--

...Rob
Return address is obfuscated.