Matt Zagrabelny wrote:
1.  It never asked me the hardware config questions I was used to with both
woody and sarge.  What happened to them, how do I find out what device support
is installed, and get support for devices that might not be installed (i.e.,
download drivers for stuff- although now that I've said it, I guess they're just
apt packages, right?).

hardware support boils down to drivers compiled into the kernel or
compiled as modules. to check if certain modules are loaded do 'lsmod'.
i am not sure how to check if certain drivers are compiled into the
kernel.

Usually in /boot there is stored the config file that existed when compiling the installed kernel... I have been finding this to be true for a large number of distributions.