I'm running Debian Sid.

When I booted into Debian, I will sometimes get the following message:

discover reports that /dev/hdc is a CD/DVD device, but it and /dev/hdc
do not exist.  Not updating /dev/cdrom0.
discover reports that /dev/hdd is a CD/DVD device, but it and /dev/hdd
do not exist.  Not updating /dev/cdrom0.
No CD/DVD drives found.

The drives work just fine, but I have to manually create the cdrom0 and
cdrom1 folders in /media.

Here's where it gets a little weird. If I boot to a different kernel
than the one I had been using when all the above was going on, then I do
*not* get those boot messages, and I do not have to manually creat the
folders. But if I reboot *again*, the process starts all over.

Currently running kernel 2.6.8 built from latest kernel-source package,
but this happens when booting into 2.6.7 or 2.6.9 as well.

Running discover1 1.7.3. Would it be to my advantage to switch to
discover?