On Wed, Nov 24, 2004 at 09:03:33PM +0100, Alexander Schmehl wrote:
> * Adam Funk <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [041124 19:26]:
>
> > What about the practical implications?  How can you have a GNU/Linux
> > distribution without gcc, make and especially coreutils?
>
> If it's not possible to write free documentaion for the package
> containing non-free docs, it is still possible to remove the
> documentation, or move it to the non-free section.  No problem, the
> binaries can still remain in main.

Unfortunately, a source package can't put some things (binaries) in main
and other things (documentation) in non-free, so stuff can't be
literally "moved" to non-free.  Instead, the documentation must be
removed from the package in main, and the maintainer may optionally add
a new source package to non-free that contains the documentation.

Since that's a high maintenance burden, and most developers refuse to
maintain anything in non-free, it essentially means that all GFDL
documentation will be removed from Debian altogether, assuming the
wishes of a few vocal developers are carried through.

Yes, it's insane.

--
For every sprinkle I find, I shall kill you!