On 26 Nov 2004, David Dorward wrote:
> On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 17:20:45 +0000, Anthony Campbell
> <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > downloaded a PDF version from Canon. This can only be read with Acrobat
> > 6.0, which is not available for Linux
>
> So Canon sell you a print manual. You lose it. You get a free
> electronic replacement, and it doesn't work on a minority OS which CAN
> view documents written for earlier versions of the same software. So
> you lambast them on a forum which they probably don't read.
>
> How about you raise your concerns with Canon instead of complaining
> behind their backs? They might do something about it.
>
> (Does Acrobat Reader 6 work in under WINE? That might be another
> solution to the problem.)

I've now found that it does open with gv, surprisingly.

I accept I may have posted in a moment of irritation but I have
downloaded a number of other manuals for other products at different
times and none of them has ever required a particular viewer previously.
I don't think that it requires exceptional benevolence on the part of
manufacturers to provide PDFs of their manuals on their websites, since
this will presumably encourage people to buy their products if they know
they can obtain such information in the future.

--
[EMAIL PROTECTED]    ||  http://www.acampbell.org.uk
using Linux GNU/Debian ||  for book reviews, electronic