To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, October 06, 2004 15:43
Subject: Re: Making my mouse wheel work on the fly

Douglas G. Phillips wrote:

Jacob S <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I wonder if it's KVM dependent . . .

If, after it does this, does WinXP drop the mouse wheel as well, or does it work as expected when you switch back?

Another option that I would try is using GPM to handle the mouse (with
the repeater flag set) and tell X to talk to GPM -- that might help -- or at least you might be able to just bounce GPM and get the mouse talking correctly.

The mouse wheel is well behaved, but I have noticed that sometimes the keyboard gets confused (shift gets stuck, etc.). I had to bounce OpenOffice spreadsheet on XP because it started ignoring the keyboard all together. I'm beginning to think that this is a rather shaky proposition at best. Today was a day of heavy switching between the two systems, and I guess that really highlighted the problem.

I looked at some KVM vendors' offerings and the support databases, but none of them really address this issue. I can't even get a sense of whether more expensive units handle this better. I guess I'll just have to be careful.

I'll research gpm, I wasn't aware of it.

thanks - icebiker