Sam Watkins wrote:

> On Thu, Dec 16, 2004 at 06:25:01AM -0500, Scotty Fitzgerald wrote:
>> What steps are required to make my email work like WWWOFFLE and
>> NOFFLE?  I have Exim running and I heard about Fetchmail, but
>> I need to know the basic concepts.  Any help or pointers to
>> faqs on how to do this are greatly appreciated!
>
> How do you get your mail - POP3 or IMAP from another server?
>
> If POP3, use fetchmail and fetchmailconf
> If IMAP, use offlineimap (this is what I am using)
>
> Those are Debian package names, type e.g. "apt-cache show fetchmailconf"
> for more info.
>
> Let's know if you have trouble configuring them.
>
> procmail is another thing you might want to use, but get the others going
> first.

OK, so first I set up fetchmail, and familiarize myself to that
before I worry about sending email to the internet when I am not
connected.  They really are seperate applications (sending email
vs receiving email) aren't they, regardless of what my email
program presents to me.

I am excited about fetchmail, after reading the essay "the
cathedral and the bazaar."

I have several email accounts, all of which use POP3.  My
published email address at my ISP is farmed out to Postini,
which has a great spam blocker.  I also have a few email addy's
on my webserver, which are also POP3.

BTW, I have one of those webhosts with a "Cpanel" interface.
I have a way of setting up email so that replies to an email I
send are copied to both a POP3 and my Pager.  If you want to know
how this is done email me and I will tell you (I figure that is
off-topic.)  I bring it up because it is one of the things that
allows me only to connect to the internet once a day.

Thanks for the reply!
---
Scotty