I'm running Debian (3? Don't know how to tell) with an Agfa snapscan scanner attached to a scsi card. Provided the scanner is switched on when I boot the linux box, all is well and Gimp can scan stuff in fine. I have xsane installed. However, if the scanner is switched off when the computer is booted, and only switched on when I want to use it (ie most of the time) Gimp can't see it, and I have to reboot the computer.

I assume the scanner is just a device like any other, so I could mount it after booting, but can't find out how, hence this email. ls -l /dev/sg* shows /dev/sg0 through /dev/sg16 but I'm stumped as to how to actually mount my scanner.

Can anyone guide me?
Thanks in advance.
Rob Clack