On 5/13/05, Glenn English <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-05-13 at 13:32 -0400, Deboo ^ wrote:
>
> > Since it's not yet formatted, I would think there must be a way to
> > recover all the data still.
>
> I think that's right. If you know *exactly* the way the disk was
> partitioned before (and nothing has been written to it), you should be
> able to run fdisk and put the old partition back.

I think most probably I have the fdisk information written in to a
text file kept in my email server's storage space, but what do you
mean by "theoretically"?

> If something's been written, it (probably) scribbled over something. But
> the rest of the disk should be OK.

Well, what would have been written on to the disk other than the new
partition information and that is in the MBR. No formatting wsaa done.

> > Is there a
> > program I can use to recover the data? Is it possible without using a
> > second 40 GB hard disk or it is not?

I got small dos-based data recovery program from a friend but haven't
ever used it. It needs to be put it on to a floppy and boot the
system, then put a new hard disk and it recovers on to that disk.

> The only thing I know of is to simply put the partition table back the
> way it was. It's theoretically possible to dd the entire disk and get it
> back, but you'd need that data reeeely badly to even think about that.
>
> Like I said, though, "The only thing I know of."
>
> --
> Glenn English
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> GPG ID: D0D7FF20
>

> BodyID:12580499.2.n.logpart (stored separately)

Regards
--
Please don't Cc: me, I'm subscribed to the list.