On Thursday 09 June 2005 10:34 pm, Paul Johnson wrote:
> On Thursday June 9 2005 11:34 am, Hal Vaughan wrote:
> > My point (with all do respect and no insult intended): You may not
> > like top posting, but all of us on the 'net, even in technical
> > groups like this, are dealing more and more with newcomers to the
> > Internet.
>
> No!  Not acceptable!
>
> You make it sound like we should just give up and accept the fact
>  most newbies apparently forgot that at least European languages are
>  read from top down in conversational order, not abritrary point
>  down, back to the top and down to arbitrary point, etc.  Anybody
>  high school or older should be able to properly articulate why top
>  posting isn't clear, as well as the sharper kids in school that have
>  made it past first grade English.

No, but from the number of replies you've made, and the vehemence of your
language, I can see that, for some reason, this topic is extremely important
to you.  (Now why someone can get so fired up over something like this, when
there's so much else to deal with in life is beyond me.)  So, if there is a
strong emotional reaction to this topic, I can see how it would be easy for
someone to infer what I did not imply.

I guess there's a difference between us: You want everything to be one way,
and I have no problem with people doing things differently.

> > We can try to educate them, but things are changing.
>
> That's what they said about northern Europe in the 1930s, too.
> Granted, top posting isn't genocide, but "things changing" is never a
> valid excuse for gratuitous stupidity.

Cool!  A Hitler reference so early in the thread.

Guess there's no need for me to continue this discussion.  I'll just pay my
regards to Godwin and leave it at that, instead of pointing out what a weak
strawman argument that is.

Hal