Clive Menzies wrote:
On (10/06/05 13:13), Marty wrote:

This is all very mysterious to me, all these people lacking an apt.conf file.
I wonder how apt can function without it?  In particular, how do you specify
your Debian version?!

I think it's mainly for situations where you have multiple versions in
your sources.list and need to specify which is preferred.  If you only
have one  version in the list thene it is superfluous.

I still don't understand where apt gets the Debian version.  If it infers
it from the repository name then pointing to the wrong repository would
mean disaster, but I've never seen that.  My guess would be the
/etc/debian_version file, but it mildly freaks me out that I never knew
it before now.