David Jardine wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 09, 2005 at 08:12:27PM -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>>>Somebody who was running stable didn't want woody to be replaced
>>>by sarge without his being asked.  Somebody running testing didn't
>>>want to move from sarge to etch automatically.  (Sid seems to be
>>>the only stable one.)
>>
>>No, you are describing people who are running woody and sarge and should
>>have those in their sources.list.
>

> Exactly.  But do we realise, as beginners, what the implications
> are of putting "stable" or "testing" in sources.list?  If we
> didn't know we could use these words (or if we knew we couldn't),
> we wouldn't.  But we do and we get ourselves into a mess.  I think
> you're overestimating the ability of people like me to really grasp
> the whole picture.

Nah, I can't buy this argument.  When I look to see what entries I can put
in my sources.list file, I actually take a web browser and look at the
directory it comes from.  In the "dists" directory, I can see that
"testing" and "stable" are links to names like "sarge" and "etch".  It
doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that links like testing and
stable could change sometime in the future while actual directories like
"sarge" and "etch" are going to stay around.