On Sat, Jun 11, 2005 at 05:54:04PM +0200, Fernando Cacciola wrote:
> Hi people,
>
> Is it possible to "upgrade" my Knoppix 3.8.1 (on CD) to sarge without a
> clean install?

Yes, it is possible, _but_ no one on this list can say, _with_
_certainty_, what problems _you_ will encounter in doing it.

If you have stuff on your HD that you want to save while transitioning
to Sarge, make a back-up of it (you do, of course, do back-ups) and
then install Sarge using the net-inst CDrom.

If you imagine that you will have all the config stuff that you may
have done in Knoppix preserved, well ...

You can get that same config stuff in Sarge, but only at the expense
of doing it again using the pure Debian way.

For what its worth, I have had a lot of success in cross-distribution
'upgrades' by putting my home directory on a separate partition and
_carefully_ mounting that partition _without_ re-initializing it
during the install. YMMV

--
Paul E Condon
[EMAIL PROTECTED]