Bried re-coup of the problem:
Seemed like no matter what drivers I compiled into the kernel either statically or as modules I got the above error. I resorted to installing the kernel-image from debian.org and this installed perfectly. I still wanted/needed to know what my issue was so I diffed the config files for the debian image and my kernel and ended up changing the ramdisk parameter from 4096 (the default) to 8192 (the setting from the debian image) and this has fixed my issue. A couple of questions, though, if someone has a moment to enlighten me. It was recommended that I *NOT* use initrd unless I absolutely had a reason (booting from LVM or raid, etc) but all of the debian images come in this manner and I have been unable to compile a kernel and get it to boot without initrd. Am I missing something? At some point I will be attempting to mirror the boot disk so I will need initrd anyway so I don't mind having to set it up but is it required for all kernels or is there a way to not use it?

Thanks,

Craig Russell
AirDigitalNetwork.com