[slightly change/addition of topic]

mdevin wrote:

> I really appreciate the effort you and others have put into helping me
> with this problem.  Unfortunately, I won't be able do things like
> compile a 2.5 kernel or re-boot with ide0=ata66, until I return from
> work in about 5 days time.  I don't want to do stuff like that remotely.

Setting the mode with hdparm (-X option) _shouldn't_ cause you trouble,
I think it will only be reset if it don't work.  Passing options while
rebooting remotely seems more... interesting.

> The first thing I will try will be to re-boot with that ide setting
> passed to the kernel since I think the problem may be related to my
> motherboard using a VIA VT8235 chipset.  Then I will work from there.

It seems like you could try 2.4.20-pre2-ac5 (or later I guess) instead
of stepping to 2.5, at least the change log says "Add VIA vt8235 IDE
support".

> In fact, I am seriously considering purchasing another harddisk the same
> as this one and then RAIDing them.  My motherboard supports RAID0 and
> RAID1 and at the very least I would be able to see what the other drive

(This should probably be a new thread...)

As I don't know your mobo I might be wrong, but the general opinion
seems to be "stay away from the built in raid and go for linux software
raid".  Usually the cheap so called raid chip/cards are just new bios
instructions to do software raid anyway, something that the kernel could
probably do better.  raid0 can be done with either od MD, LVM or EVMS.
I've used LVM before and found it both quite simple and well
functioning, and is testing EVMS currently.
  I got about twice the performance when stripeing (raid0) over two
disks, but for some reason it's very little performance gain when
stepping up to four (using four channels, master devices only).  Might
be cpu (cel 533).

> can do and compare.  Then I can complain on my warranty if this drive is
> truly got problems.  However, the downside to this approach is that if
> it is merely a driver support issue then I will have two drives that are
> not supported well.  Hmmmm.

Try a new kernel first, I got a feeling that will help.  And you really
need to get dma working, that "essential".  But of course, one can
hardly have to much disk...

// Emil