Marty wrote:
> Bob Proulx wrote:
> > APT does not know or care about any "Debian version" that you seem to
> > be trying to make up.  It does not exist.  Don't try to create one.
>
> I guess these guys didn't hear the news:
>
> algernon:/home/marty# dlocate debian_version
> base-files: /etc/debian_version
> algernon:/home/marty# cat /etc/debian_version
> 3.1
>
> I'll let you file the bug report.

Your attempt at sarcasm is very weak.  What does /etc/debian_version
(which I obviously knew about because I referred to it in my posting)
have to do with APT knowing or caring about a Debian version?  To APT
that package and the files within is just the same as any other
package.  It has no meaning to APT beyond that at all.

Edit that file and make that any value you wish.  If you change it to
be 2.2 does that make your system a Potato system?  No, of course
not.  And APT would not care about your edits there.  However other
packages, scripts, programs may be reading that file, I have no idea.
I know I have read that value in sysadmin scripts to use in
determining what is happening on the system.

You are very close to trolling.  Please don't do that.

Bob