Roberto C. Sanchez wrote:
> Jaime wrote:
> > Everything apart from the dependant version of libc6 is identical. So
> > why does apt-get want to upgrade one, but not the other?
>
> With your homebuilt version installed, run 'apt-cache policy less' to
> see what priorities it gives the two.  You will likely see that the
> version from the official archive has higher priority.  The way dpkg

Also the md5sum for the packages will be different between your same
versioned packages.  Therefore apt will know they are different and if
the current one does not match the one in the preferred archive it
will try to reinstall the package.  This has been a semi-common
occurrance for those of us running the amd64 port as things developed
and stabilized.  We are past those problems now though.

> > I have two (2) deb files: one is called less_382-1_i386.deb
> > and was created/compiled by me by downloading debian sources and using
> > dpkg-buildpackage - the other has the same name (less_382-1_i386.deb)
> > and was downloaded from
> > http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/pool/main/l/less/less_382-1_i386.deb

Normally if you are building your own version of the package then you
should use the NMU format for the version number.  That means that
your version should be called less_382-1.1 not less_382-1.  That means
that your version is later than the archive version.  This will
prevent apt from replacing your custom version with the Debian version.

  http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-pkgs.en.html#s-nmu-version

But actually I recommend that you do like Adrian Bunk does with his
packages.  He uses 3.3-1.bunk.2 for a backport instead of 3.3-2.  This
is what I recommend you do so that it is clear that your packages are
not from the official archive but are a custom package for something
you are working on.  In this case less_382-1.jaime.1 or similar would
be good.

Bob