On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 04:06:07 -0500
Mr Mike <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Sun, 19 Jun 2005 02:50:52 -0400
> Ryan Schultz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> > On Saturday 18 June 2005 11:57 pm, Mr Mike wrote:
> > > A while back I was running a pure sarge system with several upgrades from
> > > the sid branch..  At some point my X Server began to 'restart' on it's own
> > > for no real apparent rhyme or reason.  ie, the action that triggered the
> > > restart one session could not always be duplicated in another one...
> > > Simple things like clinking the 'x' to close the window or clicking the
> > > background to bring up a menu.  Like I said, really random and
> > > unpredictable.  I've looked in xsession error log, syslog, messages, etc..
> > > and NOT a damn thing...  it's as if some invisible soul is lurking over my
> > > shoulder and pressing ctl+alt+bkspace every now and then just to piss me
> > > off...  One good thing to come of this is I've learned to save my work
> > > much
> > > more frequently...
> > >
> > > Anyway...  I'm now running a mixed ubuntu/sarge (mostly sarge) box and the
> > > issue remains although not as bad as in the past.  Is there some way I can
> > > figure out what in the world is causing this so I can formulate a
> > > resolution?  Or, is there something else I should look at, like hardware
> > > problems?
> > >
> > > TIA..
> > > mike..
> > > houston, tx
> >
> > Binary nVidia drivers with ' Option  "RenderAccel"   "true" '
> > in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4, by any chance? I've seen it cause almost
> > identical
> > behavior in the past...
> >
> > --
> > Ryan Schultz
> > -> floating point exception: divide by cucumber
> >

> Thanks Ryan, I wasnt' sure if i was using binary driver for video card or
> not..  took a look at xconfig and this is it..
>
> Section "Monitor"
>         Identifier      "GATEWAY VX900"
>         HorizSync       30-95
>         VertRefresh     50-160
>         Option          "DPMS"
> EndSection
>
> Search didn't turn up RenderAccel anywhere in the file either...
> Thanks for the hint...  will try to keep it in mind for future reference...
> (like right..  along with the other 14 billion bits of linux stuff we're
> expected to learn.. LOL..)
>
> --
> Cheers: Mike
>
> ... Now, a little humor compliments of Linux Fortune...
>

> --

Stupid cut/paste.. :-(
here's the REAL deal from XF86Config-4

Section "Device"
        Identifier      "NVIDIA Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX/MX 400]"
        Driver          "nv"
        BusID           "PCI:1:5:0"
        VideoRam        32768
EndSection

btw...  been having some real trouble keeping up with my mail due to a serious
family illness...  but workin on it when I can...  This is really a true
annoyance but not critical..  i've been living with it for a while now and some
days it won't do it at all..  Go figure..  Anyway... I don't want to let it
fester and have all intentions of trackin it down and puttin the nasty little
thing to rest...  Just bear with my slow responses...