On Tue, Nov 19, 2002 at 01:24:18PM +1000, mdevin wrote:

| One thing interesting though is that if I enter my proper system
| password then ldap refuses me once and gives another Password: prompt.
| If I then enter the proper system password again, I am allowed to login.
| So ssh must check /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow too.

It does if it is setup to do so.  You can also control whether it
re-prompts or not.  To have the system prompt once and check the data
in both databases, use options like this :

auth        sufficient  pam_ldap.so
auth        required    pam_unix.so nullok try_first_pass

-D

--
Microsoft has argued that open source is bad for business, but you
have to ask, "Whose business? Theirs, or yours?"     --Tim O'Reilly

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/