On Fri, 9 Aug 1996, Tim O'Brien wrote:

> Does anyone know how to get diald to work? I'm almost there; I can get it to
> do it's thing, dial, connect to my ISP, start sending data, but after about
> 30 seconds, diald kills pppd, and reports that it has timed out waiting for
> ppp to connect. :/ Since I was in the middle of receiving an html document
> from the web, I'd say it's safe to assume that pppd was already connected.
> Anyone got any ideas how I can cure this VERY annoying problem?

I had this same problem.  Unfortunately you are the only other person I
have seen who has this problem, so I never found any official fixes.  All
I can suggest is to make sure you have the latest version of pppd and the
latest kernel, or an older version of pppd and an older kernel.  All I can
figure that there are certain combinations of pppd and kernels that have
this problem.  Mine works now with the latest kernel and pppd (I think the
'f' version).

Yes this is definitely one of the most annoying problems I have seen.
Just when you think it is working fine, it hangs up on you :-(

Tony.