"Heiko R. Selber" writes:
-> On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:
->
-> > On Thu, 15 Aug 1996, Heiko R. Selber wrote:
-> >
-> > > [ Problems with dselect ]
->
-> > Well, don't judge Debian by dselect. Dselect is the product of one mind
-> > and has, in my estimation, severe user interface problems.
->
-> I disagree. DO judge Debian by dselect. To the debian-newbie, dselect is
-> the first thing you see (thus, for the moment it IS Debian) and if it
-> doesn't do what it should, it will intimidate new users (maybe forever).
->

I agree here... I just installed debian 1.1 to replace my 3.0
Slackware system.  It seems Slackware isn't making much progress, and
my system was becoming rather patchwork, so I decided to start mostly
fresh :)

dselect IS the most visible portion of the Debian packaging system,
and the packaging system is the most visible distinctive part of a
particular Linux distribution.

Overall, I like Debian so far.  It seems a lot of work has gone into
making Debian very sensible and upgradable on many levels.  Dselect is
Debian's ugly wart, IMHO. It took me several rounds of playing around
with it to eventually get it to install all the packages I had
downloaded.

dselect is very powerful, but with that power, it sometimes loses
intuitiveness.  One possible solution is maybe to make a 'dumbed down'
installer, which acts similar to Slackware's setup tool (from a user
interface POV, anyways), allows me to go through, select my system,
then check dependencies and advise me (or optionally after every
package set, whenever I press the "advise" button, whatever). This
could be used as a simple 'get-you-up-and-running' install tool, then
once the system was set up, the user could use dselect for the more
advanced solution.

Just a suggestion...
-Larry
--
  Larry Daffner        |  Linux: Unleash the workstation in your PC!
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] / http://web2.airmail.net/vizzie/