> > If you disagree with this, as many seem to, please propose a solution
> > whereby package maintainers can easily make sure that app-defaults
> > files are updated to reflect any changes introduced in the upstream
> > app-defaults file.
>
> Well, couldn't the files in app-defaults be marked as config files
> ("DEBIAN/conffiles") in the packages? Then dpkg creates checksums of these
> files and when a package is updated, it can be replaced (if there were no
> changes) or it can ask the user what he wants to do with it (replace,
> leave under different name, i.e. add .dpkg-dist extension).

The original point was that if these are editable at all, they shouldn't
be on a read-only filesystem (as /usr is allowed to be).

Personally, since these are _defaults_ that are intended to be overridden
by user configuration, I think they are fine where they are.  These
programs are not system utilities that need to be configured.  These
are just defaults and there are documented ways for a user to change
them as to their individual preferences.

                                          Brian
                                 ( [EMAIL PROTECTED] )

     measure with micrometer, mark with chalk, cut with axe, hope like hell