Billy> (other than the inflexible configuration, some features like
Billy> previewing documents with ps fonts with xdvi are broken in
Billy> Debian).

Dirk> Not so. I am both LaTeX'ing and xdvi'ing with psfonts on Debian
Dirk> boxes with no problems.

Dirk> You just have to add gsftopk, and modify MakeTeXPK (I send a
Dirk> patch in a mail archived with bug#3414) and psfonts.map
Dirk> slightly. I have been planing to package this, but find no time
Dirk> to do it. If anybody wants to do this, I'd be more than happy to
Dirk> help.

I considered it broken because the stable distribution does not
contain all that is needed for that purpose (debian doesn't even have
a gsftopk package).  teTeX works ``out-of-the-box''.  I, for one,
would prefer a large but nicely put-together and hassle-free
distribution than the current debian LaTeX system.  I am not saying
the current system is bad.  There are just a few rough corners.

I would consider packaging teTeX myself if I am not moving out of the
country in less than a month.

--
Billy C.-M. Chow          [EMAIL PROTECTED]          Debian Linux