On Thu, 19 Sep 1996, Behan Webster wrote:

> Martin Budsj| wrote:
> >
> > >My /var/log/nmb* log files are a mixture of the following lines:
> > >
> > >more than one master browser!
> > >connect error: Connection refused
> > >Domain=[workgroup] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.16alpha10]
> > >Domain=[workgroup] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba 1.9.15p4]
> > >

> > Looks like you are running both 1.9.15p4 AND 1.9.16alpha10. How many
> > nmbd processes is there? Only one i hope...
>
> One of four machines in "workgroup" was sunning Samba 1.9.15p4 while the
> rest were running Samba 1.9.16alpha10.  I recently upgraded that last
> machine to run Samba 1.9.16alpha10 as well, but it didn't help.  Smbd
> processes are still chewing up tons of CPU on each samba host.
>
> There is only one nmbd process running on each host.
>
> Behan

I believe two or three loop bugs were found in the earlier releases
of SAMBA. The current release is 1.9.16p2, you should probably install
that release. I have been running it for a few weeks (on IRIX 5.3) and
it seems quite stable (although there are a few browsing problems).

You can fetch samba from the upstream site: ftp://nimbus.anu.edu.au/pub/
tridge/samba.
Don Gaffney (http://www.emba.uvm.edu/~gaffney)
Engineering, Mathematics & Business Administration Computer Facility
University of Vermont - 237 Votey Building - Burlington, VT  05405
(802) 656-8490 - Fax: (802) 656-8802