deFreese, Barry said:
> nate,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  That's whats odd.  (Remember I'm a total newbie
> here) I pulled the kernel building HOWTO off of the Debian site but most
> of the references were to RedHat so I'm a little confused.  I tried to use
> make-kpkg but it kept failing so I did just like the HOWTO says:
>
> make clean
> make xconfig
> make dep
> make
> make bzImage
> make modules - There weren't any
> make install - This is where it ran LILO for me???
>
> What did I screw up??  The really weird thing is that it appears that the
> kernel image name that it built is just called Linux???

I don't think you screwed up, possibly just the main kernel source
doesn't take into account the differences between distributions.

when I compile from source and while I am not using kernel-package(most
of the time I use it) I do:

make menuconfig (for me, its easier then xconfig, xconfig exposues so many
more options even when they are greyed out, harder to sort through everything)
make clean
make dep
make bzImage
make modules
make modules_install
cp /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/bzImage /boot/vmlinuz-#.#.##

(edit lilo.conf)

I've never tried the 'make install' ..on the kernel at least

nate