On Fri, 15 Nov 1996, Stephen Fuqua wrote:

> Will I be able to get lilo to boot off the 1gig drive when I
> make a root partition smaller than 1023 cylinders?  Can I be
> pretty sure that I can at least boot the thing with a floppy?

YOu got the point already!
Go for it.
I do make a small root partition /dev/hda with less then 40MB.
Switch of any maybe available BIOS translations etc.
the kernel will handle the big drive happilly after booting.

Yours,
-- martin

// Martin Konold, Muenzgasse 7, 72070 Tuebingen, Germany  //
// Email: [EMAIL PROTECTED]              //
       Linux - because reboots are for hardware upgrades
       -- Edwin Huffstutler <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> --

   Just go ahead and write your own multitasking multiuser os !
                 Worked for me all the times.
                     -- Linus Torvalds --