You wrote:
> Maybe, but please post your filter(s) and the /etc/printcap file,
> so that we can examine the problem.

This is my printcap:

lp|Generic dot-matrix printer entry:\
        :lp=/dev/lp1:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/lp:\
        :if=/etc/filter.ps:\
        :af=/var/log/lp-acct:\
        :lf=/var/log/lp-errs:\
        :pl#66:\
        :pw#80:\
        :pc#150:\
        :mx#0:\
        :sh:

This is my filter.ps:

#!/bin/sh

/usr/local/bin/gs -q -sDEVICE=stcolor \
                -sPAPERSIZE=a4  -dNOPAUSE\
                -r360x360 -dSAFER -dOutputCode=512 -sOutputFile=- -

If I invoke the filter with /etc/filter.ps <filetoprint.ps
>/dev/lp1 the printer prints.

If I do lpr filetoprint.ps nothing appear.
If I do lpq it says "lp is ready and is printing" but it is not true.
If in the printcap I change the "if" directive with "of" the lpq
command says that there is not the lpd running but it is not true
because ps -aux shows it running.

---
Mario Giammarco               |           Tel/FAX +39-545-22965
Via Calamandrei,5             |            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
48022 Lugo (RA) -- ITALY      |       [EMAIL PROTECTED]