On Sun, 15 Dec 1996, Dale Scheetz wrote:

> I am aware of how to do this with loadlin and initrd, however, the only
> reason for using initrd is to configure mount points on the CD to r/w disk
> for the portions of the system that needs to be changed from time to time.
> I don't think that initrd can be run from lilo (but I could be mistaken),
> but if you are willing to configure the system (fstab for instance)
> completely before comitting it to CD you should be able to boot the CD
> from a small partition with lilo and a kernel that has built in drivers
> for the cd drive. However, this is a lot of work to get a system that
> will, by virtue of CD access speeds be brutally slow.
> The main reason for my interst in this path is that it provides a path for
> bringing up a system (larger than base) without boot, root, and base
> disketts, from which a "real" system can be installed with all the
> networking tools needed to perform this installation in whatever method
> the installer desires.
> I have been hearing on Linux-Kernel that there is work being done to patch
> the kernel so that it will boot with a loop device, thus allowing an ext2
> file system to be built as a file image that can be copied to any
> partition (either dos or linux) and be booted using the loop device to
> mount root. This would be a read/write filesystem without the limitations
> on umsdos file systems. This configuration can be booted from either lilo
> or loadlin.

I see alot of BIOS's that have Boot Device: A:, C:, or CD-ROM.

I believe SCO OpenServer is able to boot off of CD-ROM (but not the
prefered method, if you use BTLD's).. I wonder how they do it?

There has got to be a way...  just that several CD-R disks are going to
get wasted in the process.. I think.. :)

--
                              Daniel Stringfield
       mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] http://www.jax-inter.net/users/servo