> > 1)  From my tribulations with JDK, I do believe jdk-common and jdk-static
> > depend on each other.  Thus, neither can be installed.
>
> Try installing them both at the same time:
> # dpkg -i jdk-common.deb jdk-static.deb

Wow, that installed them alright!

Now, I'm still have problems.  I've purged the jdk packages are
reinstalled them, but I still have the following problem:

I get that same error about java was not found in
/usr/lib/jdk/i586/bin/java.  So, I  manually created a symbolic link from
/usr/lib/jdk/i586/bin to /usr/bin.  Now, when I try to run or compile
a Java program, the terminal just hangs until I press ^c.

Is this a know problem or do I have something misconfigured?  Any
help would be appreciated.

Thanks
Paul