Howdy,

A few weeks ago I moved /home to an NFS mounted drive to free up space on
my local drive. Now, I get this message mailed to me every morning.

----

Subject: Cron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> run-parts /etc/cron.daily

find: /home/kevinm: Permission denied

----

I also have a problem with permissions in this directory depending on which
machine I am on. My Debian box is called 'pc13' (the network people won't
let me change it 8-( ) and the machine that has my NFS drive is 'rocalpha'.
Now, if I create a directory from rocalpha in my home directory, I can't
move or delete those directories from pc13. It does the same thing from the
other direction. If I do an 'ls -l' on this directory from either machine,
instead of listing me as the owner, I get a number (I assume this is the
user id) as the owner for "foreign" files. I think these two things are
related but I don't where to look.

The other problem I have is in updating cron. I downloaded
cron_3.0pl1-38.deb from ftp.debian.org and used 'dpkg --install'. Well dpkg
crashes with the following message.

----

bash# dpkg --pending --configure
Setting up cron (3.0pl1-38) ...
/usr/sbin/cron: can't lock /var/run/crond.pid, otherpid may be 5014: Try
again
dpkg: error processing cron (--configure):
 cron
bash#

-----

Now what do I do? I took a look at /var/run/crond.pid and it did contain
5014. Is there a way to look at the scripts from a package? The only thing
I can think of is that crond is not being stopped when dpkg tries to
replace it.

Sorry for the long post but I'm really stuck on these.

[EMAIL PROTECTED] . Trouble? e-mail to [EMAIL PROTECTED]