Hi Stan:

Try to determine the status of you network interface via "ifconfig". If it is
up and running,
ping that card. If thats OK, check the physical connections. Perhaps you were
moving
things around and something is loose.

Stan Brown wrote:
----------

        I have a generic 496 running Debian with a NE2000 clone as it's
        Ethernet card. One morning about 4 days ago, the other machines on the
        network stopped seeing it. Not this was probably about the time cleanup
        scripts are run.

        I have swapped the card with a card from another Linux box. The card I
        took out of this box works fine in the other machine, and the one I know
        have in the Debian box was working great in the other machine.

        I have rebuilt the kernel, both with and without loadable modules. When
        build it with modules I get an error about not finding a file in
        /lib/modules-2.0.27/net. Building it without module sleminates this
        problem. However on boot up I always get some messages about SIO*
        eth0, but this fails also.

        I had also recently upgraded from the latest I-connect CD.

        I out of ideas here. Can someone suggest what to check next please?

        Thanks.

--
Stan Brown     [EMAIL PROTECTED]                                    404-996-6955
Factory Automation Systems