Andy-

As far as I know this is normal for SCSI devices.  The devices have
to be on when you boot so the probe for devices recognizes what you
have on the SCSI bus at boot time.

You may be able to turn if off after the probe until you need it
(you'll have to check this)

My SCSI tape drive is internal so I can't turn it off... but a friend
of mine has an external tape and CDROM.  All the devices you intend
to use have to be on when you boot.

Hope this helps,

-Bernt

--
Bernt T. Hansen   NORANG Consulting Inc.   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Computer Systems  235 Bellamy Road North   phone: (416)431-6216

How many software engineers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None: "We'll document it in the manual."

How many tech writers does it take to change a lightbulb?
None: "The user can work it out."