On Fri, 28 Feb 1997, Spineux Alain wrote:

> > I'm trying to configure a PLIP connection between two machines, but I'm
> > having some problems...
> >
> > I get a pair or error messages when I try to configure the plip interface
> > using ifconfig:
> >
> > SIOCSIFADDR: No such device
> > SIOCSIFDSTADDR: No such device
> >
> > The two machines are both running Debian. Both produce the same error
> > messages. I've tried plip and plip[0-2] for interface names. No luck.
>
> I used 'plip1' for the normal printer port (lpt1 for dos)
>

> You can't include PLIP and the printer driver together

Hmmm... I'm not too sure if this will work, but I've been examining a
module that allows resource sharing of the parrallel port between devices.
The name is called "parbus" and it supposedly allows sharing between Zip
drives and the printer. I've never gotten it to work, but perhaps if you
look at their home page (do an altavista for parbus) they may have
something about sharing resources between the parralel for printing and
PLIP, perhaps an alpha driver or something for the PLIP part.
Also, I've heard rumors that the 2.1.x kernels are eventually going to
have methods to resolve resource sharing problems, but I don't know how
far that has gotten.

Will
(The above was not intended to be a flame, if people are offended by above
comments, I sincerely apologize beforehand :) )