Telephone Game! James W. Lynch said (on 08:43 AM 3/11/97 -0500):
->---------  Received message begins Here  ---------
->
->This subject brings up a question I've had for a long time.  Bash appears
->to be the shell that I get when I log in as root or do an su command.
->I'm from the old school and perfer vi editing of commands, but I have
->yet to be able to make bash use vi as root.  I've set EDITOR and FCEDIT.
->I've set editing-mode vi.  I can't seem to get root to use anything
->but emacs editing mode.  Is this a diabolical plot by the Linux developers
->to force emacs on the world? 8^)

Hmmmm.....setting the EDITOR and FCEDIT commands to "vi" or "<path>/vi"
will do it, but if it doesn't then this should:

set -o vi
or if you decided to use emacs:
set -o emacs

I personally prefer to use ZSH, but then, using an oddball/combo shell
just means that you have to learn it, in addition to the standards:
SH/KSH and CSH.

The Doctor What
Guru of the Gods
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

Hackers confuse Xmas (25 Dec) with Halloween (31 Oct)
"Just because you aren't paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you."
"Ever wonder why the SAME PEOPLE make up ALL the conspiracy theories?" -mkj