On Sun, 30 Mar 1997, Robert D. Hilliard wrote:

>      Is it necessary, or even useful, to have the System.map-x.x.xx
> file in the /boot directory if loadlin is used for booting?
>
>      Is there any need to have a kernel in / or /boot unless lilo is
> being used?

It is, as you have surmised, not necessary to have the kernel images.
I'm not sure, but the System.map may still be useful but probably not
necessary.  However, if you happen to go the way I did, you'll use loadin
for quite a while thinking it's the best way for you to boot, then you'll
change your mind and use LILO or some other boot manager that allows you
to bypass booting DOS/Windoze when you want to go straight to Linux.
That's when I was happy that I always kept a copy of my current zImage in
/.

Cheers.  Syrus.

--

Syrus Nemat-Nasser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    UCSD Physics Dept.