It is generally agreed that any Unix user should be able to use
vi, regardless of which editor he prefers to use regularly.

     Apparently vi doesn't exist in Debian - vim, nvi, and elvis
(maybe others) all like to have a symlink named vi pointing to them.
A year ago when I was running Slackware, I thought I learned enough
about vi to use it, but not well.  Then I found I was learning elvis,
not vi.  When I first installed Debian I tried using 'vi' (I don't
remember which of the almost clones it really was) and found that
some of the commands I was familiar with caused the famous "unexpected
results", so I gave up.

     Which of the vi semi-clones on Debian is most like the original
vi and most likely to work on a broad range of unices?

Bob