val.tamarov writes:
 > Please help me to get started !!!
 > I am new to Linux and basic help will br greatly appreciated.
 > I know already ls, pwd, cd, edit.
 > But how to read floppy or change current drive to floppy (dos's cd a:
 > command)
 > how to go to cd-rom, how to distinguish executable files out of regular
 > ones, somebody told me befor but i forgot it ( something like alias
 > ls=.......) and how to make it permanent. How to take out all that stuff
 > what comming durring boot up prosses, I don't have so many hardware what
 > linux is showing
 > Any thing
 > Thank you very much
 > [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Do you have WWW access?  If you do, go to YaHoo, and look up Linux.
Search there for documentation about it.  Another thing to do is look
on your system under /usr/doc/ and see if there is a FAQ and HOWTO
directory there.  Reading that stuff will teach you a lot more than I
can type in a minute or two. :-)

To start out, you can view a file with `less filename`.  Do `cd
/usr/doc`, and then `ls | less` and see what's there.

I would highly recommend installing Midnight Commander, (`mc`) which
gives you a 'norton commander' like interface.  With that, you can
browse your filesystem, and view files.  It's a really great way to
read the HOWTO's and FAQ's, and it formats man pages really nicely
too; so you can browse in the man directories with it.

 You can find `mc` on the Debian ftp sites. :-)

--
Karl M. Hegbloom <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
http://www.inetarena.com/~karlheg