The error message is misleading, to say the least.  The problem is
most likely that between the kernel and the modules, one is compiled
with CONFIG_MOD_VERSIONS set and the other is not.  To fix it you
could install the kernel sources, run "make menuconfig", and
compile the kernel and modules:

make dep
make clean
make zImage
[Test the new kernel.  I copy it to my dos partition and
        use loadlin.exe after booting Caldera opendos.]
make modules
make modules_install .

I have done this several times and I am 'C' illiterate.

--Brian.