Dima:
> 1.  I can see that module paths have changed in /etc/conf.modules
> (modutils-2.1.34) but what am I supposed to do to make depmod
> work?

I ran into this too... are you getting an empty modules.dep after running
depmod -a?

The fix is to edit conf.modules like this:

Old:

path[fs]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/fs
path[net]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/net
path[scsi]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/scsi
path[block]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/block
path[cdrom]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/cdrom
path[ipv4]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/ipv4
path[misc]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`/misc

New:

path[fs]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[net]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[scsi]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[block]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[cdrom]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[ipv4]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`
path[misc]=/lib/modules/`uname -r`

You'll have to make the same changes for the other two similar blocks of
lines in the config file.

I think that this should be done automatically when the modules package gets
upgraded. I'm going to file a bug.

--
See shy Jo.