Hi, Robert

Thanks for your terrific page on Linux for the 701.  I was hoping you
could help me with a couple of things:

1) I'd like to find a way to reset my modem without rebooting my machine.
How can I do that for the internal IBM modem included with the ThinkPad?

2) I goofed when running dselect and downloaded a new kernel image
(2.0.27).  I thought I was d/ling the source, but it was an image.  I
doubt that it includes PPP service compiled in, which I need to run to
connect to my ISP and run dselect with PPP.  So I can't reboot to reset
the modem anyway, yet.  How do I get my old kernel back?   Can I copy from
my rescue disk or recompile the ppp modules in from the drivers disk?

I'm installing debian 1.2 from the 'stable' directory at debian.org, after
having installed disk images 1-4 and the drivers and rescue images.  My
ISP dropped carrier in the middle of the dselect session, leaving me with
a partial package and a disgruntled modem.  :-)

                       __   _
David S.. Jackson      / /  (_)__  __ ____  __
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]        / /__/ / _ \/ // /\ \/ /
  [EMAIL PROTECTED]       /____/_/_//_/\_,_/ /_/\_\

            * * * CHOICE OF A GNU GENERATION * * *