On May 1, Nikolaj Richers wrote
> Can anyone think of a utility or word processor that can read Postscript
> files and save them in a common WP or even TeX format?

I'm afraid such a utility does not (and up to a certain degree, can not)
exist. PostScript is a full general programming language, and thus such a
utility would in principle have to understand any program in the PostScript
language.

ps2ascii and pstotext seem to work for most PostScript, but only produce
flat text output.

> The reason being, I need to move a few years' worth of word processing
> files off my A3000-040 and the only useful/portable format I can come up
> with is to print everything to Postscript.  This includes stuff like my
> thesis and dissertation fragments, articles, etc., which I don't really
> want as ASCII files, if I can avoid it.

For a specific word-processor's PostScript output, it might be possible to
reconstruct some kind of low-level text with layout information (ASCII +
font/style info), but even this would be far from structured text.

Your best bet would be
- to find another output format which can be converted to one you can use on
  your current system or
- to analyze the word processor's native format and write a converter
  yourself.

HTH,
Ray
--
Cyberspace, a final frontier. These are the voyages of my messages,
on a lightspeed mission to explore strange new systems and to boldly go