What kind of Thinkpad is this?  Not all require the floppy=thinkpad
option.  I believe the 365 family is one of those - it's been a while
since I installed Debian on a Thinkpad, but I think I'm correct here :)

Also, when you rebuilt the kernel image, did you copy it to a floppy
with a cat or something, or did you make a lilo boot floppy?  If you
went the cat route, I'm willing to bet that you're passing of the
floppy=thinkpad option on the rescue floppy is the problem, since a
generic kernel boot floppy doesn't accept boot options.

On the other hand, I could be wrong, but since you haven't given us all
the info I'm making some stabs in the dark.

Debian ran great on a 365E I used to have, btw.

--
  Nathan Norman    :    Hostmaster CFNI    :    [EMAIL PROTECTED]
    finger [EMAIL PROTECTED] for PGP public key and other stuff